Sunday, March 13, 2011

Family

Last weekend I made a trip over to Minneapolis to take care of my nephew, Trevor.  I was able to spend good quality time with my 7 month old nephew.  The last time I had seen him was two months ago for Christmas.  He had changed so much in those two months.  He was now able to sit up on his own, smile a lot at me, laugh, babble, and make cute baby faces.  This visit made me realize how much I am going to miss in the next two years.  I will not be able to see my nephew for a long time.  He is seven months old now and by the time I come home from the Peace Corps he will be three years old, he will be able to walk, run, talk, yell, and who knows maybe he will know how to play chess by the time I come back. 
            As I was driving out of the Twin Cities last weekend a lot of things were going through my mind and I started to cry.  What am I doing leaving everything for two years of my life, to go to a place I have never been to (I don’t consider the time I spent 5 minutes jumping back and forth between the Mexican and Guatemalan border actually being there), and to hopefully help people I don’t even know.  Am I out of my mind?  After the tears cleared from my eyes, I-94 out of Minneapolis was not blurry anymore and a few used Kleenexes sat on the passenger’s seat in the car, I began to think a little sharper.  This is going to be a tough adventure for me.  I knew signing up for the Peace Corps that it was going to be difficult.  On the drive home I was thinking about how the hardest part right now is leaving the people who are important in my life, my family.  We have always been a really close family and love knowing that they are always there for me when I need them.  Even if I am in another country they are only a phone or Skype call away.  I love my family, they are the best.  As I continued my drive home, I said a little prayer asking God to be with me on this adventure and to keep my family healthy and safe while I am gone.

1 comment:

  1. I feel ya! It's gonna be a CRAzY adventure, though! Can't wait to meet you at staging :)

    ReplyDelete