Wednesday, February 16, 2011

It's official I am a blogger and a Peace Corps Invitee

I have been thinking about starting this blog for a while.  I have been reading other Peace Corps volunteer's and applicant's blogs since I first applied by at the end of September 2010.  Today is my day off and I decided not to sent an alarm.  At about 9am this morning I was in the middle of a nice dream (I don't remember what I was dreaming) when I heard my cell phone ring.  I looked at my cell phone to see who was calling me early in the morning on my day off.  I didn't look at the whole number the only thing that stuck out to me was seeing an area code of 202.  Since I had been reading other applicant's blogs I knew that the area code of 202 is Washington D.C. where the Peace Corps Headquarters is located.  I then knew that my Placement Officer was calling me to have a final interview with me.  I quickly sat up in bed, cleared my throat and took a few deep breaths before I answered the phone.  Yes it was indeed the Placement Officer he asked me a few questions like if I was still interested in the Peace Corps and if I have been doing more research on the Peace Corps.  He asked if I was still available to leave in April as that was my original nomination.  I said I was available whenever Peace Corps was ready for me.  He then let me know that he would be sending me an invitation to Central/South America for April!!  In 5 days from now I should know what country I will be spending 27 months of my life!!  I have a strong feeling that it is Guatemala because Guatemala is leaving the end of April and they have a health extension program, which is what I will do.  After I got off the phone I came out of my room and announced to my mom "I'm going in the Peace Corps"!  She gave me a big hug and she wanted to know what he asked.   I couldn't remember a single question he asked me, but I thought it was about a 10 minute conversation.  I went back to my phone to see how long the conversation was, it was only 3 minutes!!  I have heard of other people having their final interview last almost 2 hours but the average is usually 25 minutes.  Mine was only 3 minutes!

I am going to try to update this blog as much as possible while I am in country                  .  I am not sure how much Internet access I will have but I am sure I could get to Internet at least once a month.  So bookmark this page and follow me into my next 27 months adventure in the Peace Corps.

No comments:

Post a Comment